Tag: Immunization

Association of symptoms after COVID-19 vaccination with antibody response

Editor's Note This study by investigators in the Framingham Heart Study—an ongoing, prospective cohort study evaluating cardiovascular disease risk factors—finds that systemic symptoms after COVID-19 vaccination were associated with greater antibody response than local only or no symptoms. A total of 928 of 3,200 Framingham Heart Study participants completed this…

Read More

By: Judy Mathias
November 7, 2022
Share

Partial COVID-19 vaccination tied to decreased postop mortality, infection

Editor's Note This study from the University of Maryland, Baltimore, finds that full and partial COVID-19 vaccination reduced postoperative complications. Researchers analyzed data from patients having surgery at 1,283 VA medical facilities nationwide. Of 87,073 surgical patients, 20% were fully vaccinated, 15% were partially vaccinated, and 65% were unvaccinated. Among…

Read More

By: Judy Mathias
November 3, 2022
Share

COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy among HCWs in academic hospitals

Editor's Note This study led by researchers from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia examines COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy among healthcare workers (HCWs) at two large academic hospitals in Philadelphia. A total of 5,929 HCWs were surveyed, including 2,253 MDs and DOs, 582 nurse practitioners (NPs), 158 physician assistants (PAs),  and 2,936 nurses.…

Read More

By: Judy Mathias
October 24, 2022
Share

Houston Methodist not mandating new COVID-19 vaccines for employees

Editor's Note Houston Methodist, the first US health system to mandate vaccination of its employees in March 2021, is not requiring employees to receive new COVID-19 vaccines targeting Omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5, the September 21 Becker’s Hospital Review reports. Though the system is strongly recommending that employees get the…

Read More

By: Judy Mathias
September 22, 2022
Share

COVID-19-associated hospitalizations among vaccinated, unvaccinated adults

Editor's Note This study led by researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) finds that COVID-19 vaccines are strongly associated with preventing serious illness. Analyzing data from 192,509 hospitalizations in 250 US hospitals: monthly COVID-19 associated hospitalization rates ranged from 3.5 to 17.7 times higher in unvaccinated…

Read More

By: Judy Mathias
September 12, 2022
Share

COVID-19 outbreak in acute care hospital linked to vaccine breakthrough

Editor's Note This study by researchers in South Korea analyzes a COVID-19 outbreak caused by vaccine breakthrough infections in a hospital where 91.9% of healthcare workers were vaccinated. In addition, it was mandatory that all healthcare workers and caregivers wear masks or respirators at all times except when eating. During…

Read More

By: Judy Mathias
August 25, 2022
Share

Variation in uptake of COVID-19 boosters by fully vaccinated adults

Editor's Note In this study, researchers at NYC Health + Hospitals, New York City, evaluate how uptake of COVID-19 booster doses among fully vaccinated US adults varied by geographic location, occupation, and sociodemographic characteristics. Receipt of a booster was defined as taking two or more doses of COVID-19 vaccines with…

Read More

By: Judy Mathias
August 22, 2022
Share

80% of HCWs at California hospital exposed to COVID-19, showing symptoms test positive

Editor's Note Some 80% of healthcare workers (HCWs) at Sonoma Valley Hospital, Sonoma, California, exposed to COVID-19  or showing symptoms, tested positive the last 2 weeks of  July, the August 15 Sonoma Index-Tribune reports. A total of 97% of HCWs are fully vaccinated, and the remaining 3% have valid exemptions.…

Read More

By: Judy Mathias
August 17, 2022
Share

COVID-19 risk among HCWs according to patient exposure, mask type

Editor's Note This study from Switzerland finds that COVID-19 positivity in healthcare workers (HCWs) was associated with cumulative patient exposure, which could be modulated with the use of respirator masks. Of 2,919 HCWs included in the study, 749 were infected with COVID-19. Positivity was 13% in HCWs without patient exposure.…

Read More

By: Judy Mathias
August 16, 2022
Share

Immune response of mix-and-match boosters

Editor's Note This study led by researchers at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, finds that being boosted with either the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was associated with increased humoral and cellular immune responses. Boosting with the Janssen vaccine also was associated with durable antibody and T-cell…

Read More

By: Judy Mathias
August 11, 2022
Share

Get OR Manager Updates

Sign Up Now
Latest Issue of OR Manager
December 2022
Video Spotlight
Live chat by BoldChat