Home Issues OR Manager

Support programs multiply as pandemic strains health systems

Burnout among healthcare workers was on the rise long before 2020, but it has skyrocketed during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, many healthcare organizations have stepped up efforts to support their staffs. “Maybe 20% of burnout is something an individual can control, but the other 80% is the work…

Read More

By: Elizabeth Wood
February 17, 2021
Share

Joint Commission conducting both virtual and onsite surveys in 2021

The Joint Commission stopped doing most onsite surveys and reviews from March 16 to May 31, 2020, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. During that time, they developed processes for conducting offsite or virtual events, and as of mid-December, more than 1,200 offsite surveys and reviews had been conducted across…

Read More

By: Judith M. Mathias, MA, RN
February 17, 2021
Share

Editorial

Combatting COVID-19 is the top priority of President Joe Biden. On Day 1 of his presidency, he signed numerous executive orders, including one that aims to provide “a unified and effective response” to the crisis and one that mandates mask-wearing and social distancing on all federal properties. His strategy is…

Read More

By: Elizabeth Wood
February 17, 2021
Share

Strong new tactics to support COVID-19 financial recovery

The end of the COVID-19 pandemic is in sight, but hospital surgery departments will not likely see a rapid return to normal. Since the start of the pandemic, perioperative leaders have had to stay flexible and act quickly. Over the next 12 months, OR leaders will need to reassess the…

Read More

By: Jeffry A. Peters, MBA
February 17, 2021
Share

Diligence in implant processing will decrease infection risks

Implants are foreign bodies, and they increase the risk of a surgical site infection. Processing implants requires strict adherence to the required steps because implants have sustained contact with sterile tissue. An implant is defined as a device that is placed into a surgically or naturally formed cavity of the…

Read More

By: Susan Klacik, BS, CRCST, ACE, CIS, FCS
February 17, 2021
Share

Is a robotics program right for your ASC?

Global adoption of robotics technology has exploded in healthcare institutions, promising a less invasive and more precise means of conducting procedures. Although hospitals command the largest share of this market, analysts predict that ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) will adopt this technology at a rapid clip. Robotics technology has changed greatly…

Read More

By: Jennifer Lubell
February 17, 2021
Share

Get OR Manager Updates

Sign Up Now
Latest Issue of OR Manager
December 2021
Video Spotlight
Live chat by BoldChat