June 8, 2018
FDA updates recommendations to reduce surgical fires
The Food & Drug Administration (FDA) on June 5 updated its Safety Communication: “Recommendations to Reduce Surgical Fires and Related Patient Injury.”
Among the recommendations:
- Perform a fire risk assessment before each surgical procedure.
- Encourage communication among anesthesia personnel, surgeons, and OR staff.
- Practice safe use and administration of oxygen.
- Ensure safe use of devices and items that may serve as an ignition source and fuel source.
- Plan how to manage a fire.
The FDA is working with the Joint Commission and others to increase awareness of the risks of surgical fires.
Read More >>
© 2019 Access Intelligence, LLC – All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without expressed written permission of Access Intelligence, LLC is prohibited. OR Manager is a registered trademark of Access Intelligence, LLC.